Home Book Reviews Purchase Book Blog For Fun Contact

Quote from Captivated

"I stood close to the edge looking down at what I thought was my death. Then, I somehow ignored the water and only saw him. He looked like a dark angel on a cloud of mist holding his arms out to me. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. Then I jumped." Mindy - Captivated, An Affliction Novel

Sunday, October 16, 2011

What happened to Halloween?

I know this isn't book related and all, but I really wanted to write about this.

What happened to Halloween? I remember when I was a kid, I used to get all dressed up and be out of the house by 6:00 to go trick or treating with my brother and parents. The dad would stay in the car and my mom would walk us to all the decorated houses. And practically all the houses were lighted up with orange and purple. There were all sorts of scary decorations. I even sat on a scarecrow and made fun of how fake it looked until it moved! I high tailed it out of there and ended up on the other side of the street in two seconds! There was also walk through houses where everything was scary and if you wanted candy, you had to go in. Every time our little trick or treat bags would get full, we would dump them in garbage bags we kept in the car. We wouldn't get home until midnight and it was because we were tired, not because we ran out of houses.

And now...

I have the ONLY house decorated in this community! Before my cousins turned into teens, I used to take them trick or treating and it was pretty lame. I think we would only hit up 10 houses in the neighborhood, most of them only had a porch light up and a bucket of candy sitting on a chair next to the door. When I lived in Texas a few years ago, I went to the store to buy a whole bunch of candy for the trick-or-treaters and we didn't get a single knock on the door!

I get it, evil people that need to be beat up to a bloody pulp ended up poisoning the children's candy, putting razors in the candy apples they passed out, and even poisoned the cookies. So, it ended up being dangerous for the trolls. Damn it. But we can still celebrate can't we? We can still decorate for the kids, we can still dress them up, we just have to check every piece of candy for them before they dig in.

We need to bring back Halloween!!!

4 comments:

  1. I agree! And so does my mother. We just moved to a community where there are tons of children and my mom was really upset that no kids came by our apartment for candy last year. She keeps asking us, my sisters and I, if we think the kids will be out here getting candy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just sad because I had a lot of fun as a kid during Halloween. My mother had an even better time back in her day! From the way things are going, I don't think it will be around much longer. It sucks to hear that your community has tons of children and no kids showed up! Christmas decorations taking over the stores before October even ends doesn't help with the Halloween spirit either...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Halloween. Over here in Australia it is getting more popular. There aren't a lot of trick or treaters but there are a lot of parties. I have celebrated Halloween for as long as I can remember and I get excited every year when I see more and more decorations in the stores. Right now we have both Halloween and Christmas decorations on sale at the shops.

    We now even get proper Halloween pumpkins to carve. The selling of the proper pumpkins started last year in the supermarkets. They are so much easier to carve than the butternut pumpkins we used to carve. lol

    Halloween candy is more popular now. We get eyeball marshmallows, chocolate with green fondant filling. I bought a packet of chips today that has been brought out especially for Halloween. They are potato chips in the shape of ghosts. *so cool*

    I love Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *jaw drops* I want to move to Australia.

    I am so jealous! It seems like the only Holiday action we get here is Christmas! I don't think the sales floors even get to see Thanksgiving...lol.

    Potato chips that are ghost shaped! All we get are black and orange died chips.

    I love Halloween too. :(

    ReplyDelete